Saturday, April 12, 2008

The Ride Has Ended...Please Pick Up Your Adulthood at the Door

Yesterday was my absolutely LAST day of my degree. My LAST. Mum thinks I should go into academia, seeing as I got straight A's on all of my term papers, but my experience with graduates has been pretty negative - I might read a book and say, "I loved the circular narrative structure." A graduate student might read a book and say, "I loved the book's use of repetitive feminist allegorical space" or some crap like that. I don't want to pick apart books like that into tiny sterile pieces, and I don't think that's how many books are written, either.

Anyway, I'm done except for exams (and three of those require no studying, really) and I've got great grades. I kept my eyes open on the last day of my degree, my last day of education really until I go to VFS. I don't know, I guess I thought something significant would happen, but nothing really did. I didn't go to the beergardens. Someone didn't just up and offer me a fantastic fulltime job. It was just an ordinary schoolday, when I was expecting it to be somehow different from all the others. It wasn't different, it was just over. I don't know if I'm disappointed or elated.

1 comment: